Bone broth has amazing healing properties, and we've used it for centuries. It helps to decrease inflammation, balance the immune system, speed weight loss, heal skin ailments, improve joint pain, decrease cellulite, replace powerful nutrients and minerals, and aid gut healing (one of the major keys to overall health).
Sounds pretty magical, right?!
So, as I'm healing my body from indulgences over the holidays bone broth is a big part of getting back on track for me. Here is my ultra-simple recipe for this healing liquid. I'm currently having 8oz mugs 2-3 times/day with just a little bit of added himalayan salt, but you can also add it to soups, stews and sauces for flavor, richness and, of course, health.
Simple Bone Broth
- 2-4 pounds bones
- 2 chicken feet for extra gelatin (optional)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Optional: vegetables - 3 carrots, 2 medium onions, 4 stalks celery, 1 bunch parsley, herbs/spices to taste
- Place bones, chicken feet and vinegar in a large crockpot and cover to the top with water.
- Heat on low for 8-48 hours for chicken, 12-72 hours for beef.
- (Optional) Add the vegetables for the last few hours of cooking for additional flavor, and the parsley for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- You can start to use broth from the crockpot after the minimum cooking time and up to 1 week from the time you start the crockpot.
- You can store jars of broth in mason jars in the fridge or freezer (if they are freezer safe). I prefer to cool the broth in the fridge which makes it easy to scoop out the fat after it has solidified, then reheat on the stove before serving.
- It is important to use healthy sources of bones such as organic chicken or grass-fed grass-finished beef or lamb. Here in Portland we can buy them at New Seasons, Old Salt Market or directly from farmers specializing in grass-fed grass-finished beef.
- When you refrigerate your bone broth it may turn to a jelly-like consistency. This is good! This is a sign that you have collagen and gelatin in your bone broth, two of the components that make bone broth so amazing for you.