Spring is almost here, and it’s important to include seasonal foods in our diet. Asparagus is harvested during April, May and June in Oregon. This soup recipe follows Whole 30, and is paleo, gluten-free and vegan! Plus, it’s so simple; so head to the farmer’s market, pick up some asparagus and give it a try!
TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil (or preferred cooking fat)
- 1c chopped white onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic (about 5-6 large cloves)
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed and roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2c chicken stock (to make this vegetarian/vegan, use vegetable stock)
- 1c coconut cream (you can either buy the cream or refrigerate a can of coconut milk for 2 hours and remove the solids)
- Salt & pepper, as desired
- Heat coconut oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion to pot and “sweat” until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and asparagus, stirring to combine the vegetables and coat with oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add stock and pot to boil; then, reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, until asparagus is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat (set aside a few asparagus tips for garnish, if you like).
- Blend vegetable mixture thoroughly until smooth, using an immersion blender or conventional blender, working in batches. If using the latter, work in batches and be sure to replace the lid with a dish towel to allow heat to escape. Be careful!
- Add coconut cream and stir to combine.
- Taste and add more salt & pepper, if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with reserved garnish, and serve.